From 2014 to 2017 the UAE Pacific Partnership Fund were very active promoting and installing renewable energy technologies in the Pacific Island nations. Masdar were the implementation agency for 11 large infrastructure projects, which delivered over 6.4 MW of renewable energy projects to 11 Pacific small island countries. During the week from 8th January 2018, the UAE hosted a 1-day renewable energy (RE) integration training programme to assist the 11 countries and their utilities to cement the gains made. In partnership with the IRENA general assembly, the event was organised by Masdar (Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company), the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation (MoFAIC) and the Abu Dhabi Fund for Development (ADFD).
The course was aimed at senior government personnel and ministers who were also attending the IRENA general assembly.
The training programme drew upon the knowledge of industry experts to provide a comprehensive understanding of RE technologies and their integration into utility grids. The course also integrated technical case studies from the implementation of the UAE-Pacific Partnership Fund projects, which had often introduced utility-scale renewable energy for the first time to local grids, and achieved penetration of up to 70% in some cases.
Elemental Power and Renewables, Elemental Environment, and IT-Power teamed up to prepare and present the course.
The following topics were covered:
• RE Technologies including Solar PV, Wind Energy, Energy Storage Technologies, Inverter Types, Controllers, Networks, and Hybrid Mini-grid selection
• Network Integration including Issues Matrix, Solar Variation, Frequency and Governors, Load Sharing and Droop, Rotational Inertia. Voltage Regulation, Faults, Unbalance and LVRT, Generator Dispatch, Diesel Minimum Load, Grid Analysis, Energy Contribution, Fault Clearing and Dynamic Behaviour
• Project Economics including Types of Budget Estimate, Estimating costs for grid upgrades, Economic Parameters, Levelised Cost of Electricity, Financial Modelling for RE Projects, Documentation and Quality Control, Independent Power Producers, Application of Battery Storage
• Project Planning, Project Management, Environmental and Social Impacts, Risk Assessment and Health and Safety
• Case studies of UAE PPF projects